Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login .

Notification

Icon
Error

Player Spotlight: Meet Brem [December 2012]
BurstThia
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:44:36 PM(UTC)

Meet Brem, the focus of our December 2012 Player Spotlight!

Editor's Note : For those curious about Brem and his Giant profile, please see the .

How did you learn about WarMage Battlegrounds? When did you start playing?
I learned about WarMage Battlegrounds at the 2011 TooManyGames convention. The Burst staff had a booth set up with computers to play WarMage on. It seemed like an interesting, free multiplayer browser game, so I was intrigued. Once I delved into the game, I was hooked and have been playing ever since.

What is your favorite Battle Unit and why?
That's a tough one. I think I'm going to have to go with the [Giant] Boulder Tosser. I remember making my guest account and smashing my foe with the Tosser for the first time, that's when I knew Giants were the way to go for me. It's ironic, because there have been a lot of unit changes since then, and I rarely use him these days. But he's the one unit that shaped my choices in this game the most. As for these days, my favorite unit is probably the Juggernaut. I like his high health, that he causes internal injuries and knockback, and I just think he looks really cool.

Favorite Spell?
There [are] a lot of cool spells in the game, but my favorite has to be Bunnifrication. My opponent's biggest, most intimidating unit being transmogrified into a bunny that is subsequently smashed into oblivion by my Giants... it never gets old. New players also get a kick out of that spell the first time they see it.

What has been your favorite in-game memory or battle so far?
It's hard to pick a specific moment or battle, but I've had plenty of good times playing WarMage. My fondest memories are probably my epic battles with Victor Creed, who helped me get started, and Thia, who's played more games with me than I can count. I also enjoy interacting with developers, bouncing ideas off of them and giving them feedback. And of course there [are] the many players I've had the pleasure of meeting and playing. I won't list names for fear of leaving someone out, but you all know who you are and it's been a lot of fun. The WarMage community is really awesome, which is a significant feat on the internet, and I appreciate it greatly.

Share one piece of advice for new WarMage players.
Have fun, that's what the game is all about. Don't be afraid to try new ideas, strategies, or themes. The game is still evolving, and I doubt we have it all figured out yet, so have fun experimenting. You might come up with the next great strategy that takes everyone off guard.

If you could ask one of the devs one thing, what would it be?
I would ask them for top secret intel on future updates and plans for the game.
Quote:
We try to be transparent about what we are doing with WarMage Battlegrounds. So, let me explain the pipeline of how things move from idea/feedback to something you can play in the game.

In game development, ideas are cheap. Many players and all designers are constantly flooded with ideas for making the game better, more interesting, and more appealing; but it takes a lot of work to move an idea into the game. We create tickets, electronic entries in our internal wiki, for almost all ideas that pass the initial insanity test. Tickets come from players in the game or from developers. Each ticket is reviewed and assigned an estimate of time for completion. At the beginning of each sprint (a short, about 2 weeks, interval of development during which we all focus on achieving very specific goals) we go through all of the non-completed tickets and decide which ones address the immediate priorities of the game: Which tickets will make the first 20 minutes more enjoyable? Which tickets will make it easier to play, easier to understand, while not compromising the depth of decision making?

We have to balance the tickets with the size of the team and the current state of our technology. Some ideas fit well with the existing architecture of the game, while others would require significant recoding. There are often dependencies between disciplines in tickets. A recent example would be the Wyvern Riders, which required 2D portraits, 3D models used to animate and output to sprite sheets, new code for the Goblin Scramblers to appear after the death of the Wyverns, and new abilities to be entered into the database. The tickets are prioritized in order of importance, and then assigned to the team member responsible for implementation. As each ticket is completed, the necessary code and assets are checked into our official repository and a new internal game build is created. Design is notified that the build is available, and which of the ticket features are in it so that they can begin using the code and art to create the experience for the player.

We usually spend two weeks on our code sprint, and then one to two additional weeks to complete the web, art and design work needed for each of our Updates. Once we all sign off that we are ready, we make a release candidate build and put it onto our Quality Assurance (QA) server. Most of the team is involved in testing on QA. Burst Online is a start-up company with an experienced game development team (some of us have 18 years of game development experience), without an external publisher. We handle all of our development, testing, and deployment. While on the QA server, we test all of the new tickets, and test previous features to make sure nothing was inadvertently broken by the new development. If we find issues, we do a new build and redeploy to QA and start testing anew. This cycle, of testing-fixing-redeploying, is the reason we can't give you an exact date of when our next Update will go out to the Live servers. We would rather continue that cycle until we have confidence that we will have a stable, good experience for the players.

Once we agree that we have a better experience on QA than what is available on Live, we move the build to our Staging server which mirrors the Live server configuration. We do one more round of testing and then we release the Update to the Live server.

Your ideas are important to us, and we have a process that lets you voice them directly to the team. When you submit a ticket, if it's something we can do, that will make the game better for all (not just you and your play-style), we will act on it. It might take more time than you'd like, but I've tried to explain what happens to that idea, and why it might take that time.

Where are we going with the game?
We will continue to add new battle units as we come up with interesting abilities. New art will allow us to make existing battlegrounds more pleasing, and allow us to open up more regions of the map. We know what we want to put into all of those regions, but as I've explained, it will take time. We are reworking the WarMage appearances to improve their quality. We will continue to try out new forms of battles, looking for ones that resonate with our players. We are definitely increasing and improving the player versus AI battles since we believe that many players will be intimidated about playing player versus player battles until they feel they fully understand the game.

We have a long-term view of the game. It is a great browser game, with no downloads, and has a fantastic community that we are trying to grow. If we continue to improve it, expand the content, open up all of the regions and tell the stories in the world of Kator that we intend, I'm confident it will be successful.
- David Bowman, Content & System Designer, Creative Director

Quote:
Here's a "sneak peek" of something coming in a future update. Feel free to speculate on what he/she/it is!

- Tristin Hightower, Community Manager

What do you do when you're not playing WarMage Battlegrounds?
A few of the things I enjoy are videogames, hiking, biking, martial arts, and hanging out with friends and family.

What other games do you like to play?
I enjoy a little of most things I suppose. I enjoy everything from classic NES games to modern stuff. Some of my favorite genres are RPGs, platformers, real time strategies, classic first person shooters, stealth based games, fighting games when friends are around, and adventure games.

Thanks for taking the time to share a little about yourself and your experience with WarMage Battlegrounds, Brem!
Brem
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:45:36 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the opportunity for this spotlight, Thia, that was very kind of you. DVB, I love the writeup of what goes on behind the scenes, very interesting. You all have put together a really fantastic game and I'm glad to know we're helping with the process.

Also, an Ent, awesome!
zalex101001
#3 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 4:01:56 PM(UTC)

ent obviously for new unit thing... also nice spotlight
Kindness is the best pain to give
Dresden_Maximus
#4 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 1:29:38 PM(UTC)

Hello Brem Sweetie,

Great spotlight! But I think we have some issues to discuss, Yes?

How can your fav unit not be a mino? Really Brem!

Bunnies are good especially with a ton of BBQ sauce :D

As for your advice to new players, you def nailed it Brem Sweetie.

So, with that single exception of your fav unit my gigantic friend, Sadie is very pleased with your spotlight! And I must say also very annoyed at all the rank points I lose each time we fight! ;)

Sadie
Brem
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 5:33:38 PM(UTC)

Thank you Zaex and Sadie.

You know, I actually do have a minotaur lifemage that I used a long time ago to slow down my opponents for my giants to catch. Minotaurs are cool, but come one... everybody knows Giants are where it's at.
gazdofe
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 11:59:36 PM(UTC)

love it, nice one Brem
Dresden_Maximus
#6 Posted : Friday, January 04, 2013 4:20:40 PM(UTC)

Brem;1576 wrote:
Thank you Zaex and Sadie.

You know, I actually do have a minotaur lifemage that I used a long time ago to slow down my opponents for my giants to catch. Minotaurs are cool, but come one... everybody knows Giants are where it's at.

LOL, OK Brem Sweetie!

I am glad you own at least one mino unit! And for you, my sweetness, Giants are def your thing!

I keep thinking about building an army of Giants, but I just can't seem to get past their slow speed. I like my units fast and loose! :D You know, like, me LOL!

Love,

Sadie
zalex101001
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 06, 2013 9:43:02 PM(UTC)

well sadie if you want a spotlight you gota ask thia to give you one... I think march is open!
Kindness is the best pain to give
taoistmaster66
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:17:25 AM(UTC)

well this string simply wouldnt do without a word or two from yours truly as along with Brem we are the only remaining original giant players though my first creation was a dragonkin in the begining i faced players such as brem and and the rampant tosser spam of the old age though many forms of spam pervaded the old era when a tosser smashed your arse you remembered it just as brem said very soon after a few defeats at the hands of the mighty boulder tossers of old the new ones pale by far in comparison my ultimate army was born by which i smashed and crushed my way into the minds and eyes of the games once legendary champions this army was 3 27 boulder tossers a 32 earthmage and a 23 archer giving me more or less the ultimate nightmare of ranged versatility being that it was a fully ranged army and i had 3 melee ranged atks an elemental 7 hex n no line of sight range 6 made my force no small thing to face even against far greater odds artifacts and players with limitless bank accounts or so it would seem in time i crushed all but a few of the best players and on terms of a slight insult at the hands of the dwarf king thorin oakenshield in him not having made me an officer i broke at once with his clan just as clans were first being born i called out to my closest daily ally in common skirmish ultron and one of the only dwarfkin i could trust nomru who wielded one of the lost spells of lore allowing him to switch places with his enemies aptly put lamb to slaughter ultron the second dragonking created the first blademaster stonesmith army and had replaced the old dragonking who disapeaeared kingdragon who with a basic army of dragons was one of the top ten players since i had begun and as a team as with ultron the giants and dragons proved unstopalble even the mighty artifact players feared to face us for without two artifact players and overwhelming odds me and my allys began to destroy all who stood against us the mighty thorins once was clan was ecplised and destroyed by his insult to me for as the knights of the black flame rose from the ashs of my anger all others ran from our very might our legions numbered beyond the counting of men in the minds who ponder such things but brem was the last of thorins clan for we are the last of the giant kin of old and though we have always crossed swords since i left his masters clan we were once clan mates and in my begining i feared his wrath i remember well those little bastard lifemages i took them into my build very soon their after and fashioned 4 or 5 dozen variations with them into what would be called my deathshead armys basicly unstopable in the early days brem crushed me and remains the best all giant player ive ever seen however if in the respect to humility i think its fair to say well within reason that i am the greatest creator of mixed armys in the history of the game having made well over a hundred champion armys beatable only by the best of armys and ive always kept my beloved tossers around they are reduced to a single stack under 30 in one of my current armys but i will always love my first 3 tosser champion army above all other armys the updates forced me to adapt i would still use that army if it was still as lethal but alas this is not the case i think many players who we thought would never leave left because they couldnt handle the rising players such as the once mighty thorin and the lovely titania for we never thought they would leave our graces i fear i was the impliment of both their destructions i destroyed thorins clan because he didnt think to make me an officer lol not so slight a mistake id say since my clan still dwarfs all others all pun intended and once i finnaly clipped titanias preety little wings and ordered my artifact clan mates who favored fae to destroy her at all costs once she said she hated me a slight insult turned into her demise just as with thorin i considered her a friend and took our battles as friendly but when me an my clan mates started to defeat her she lost interest in the game so much for the preety faces in games we look up to in the begining i destroyed an inactive players clan in this move to repay thorins insult dracomage or somthing one of the lost and fallen legions he never bothered to return so i feel little regard to that effect when i first started once i created the legendary namesake that speaks as my voice in this game that being the giant visage of skullcracker king of all the giant kin who along with the mighty dragon lords ultron and king dragon forged the longest and most feared alliance this game has ever seen me and my dragonkin allys and the longstanding loyalty of my officers ultron moonbug kingdragon leo18 who was once top 3 in the game when i first started i might add and scorpioknight to name a few that remain steadfast with me even in my abcense along with old friednships such as brem thia and dvb have made this game well worth sticking with i never got into a live game or any game like this one i feel a responsibility at this stage as one who has without doubt changed the face of this game many times as dvb or thia will surely tell you one day once upon a time i faced the greatest horde this game has ever seen my few hundred faced tens of millions i had but a single spell to face such numbers and then i cast it and then they came through the abyss my lycans millions of them enough to match the computers legions vast and we clashed as only the gods may know such myrth in battle is resevered for the saintly few and upon the horizon of that day as the dusk came skullcraker stood their upon the mountain top and he looked upon the shattered bodies of a once was sea of dwarfs i slaughtered my hated enemy that day as no man or monster ever has or been blessed and bathed in such blood as i did that day as the enemy suck into the abyss my rewards came and then i gathered my greatest officers in the first of my clans days the legendary days the dyas of the black flame and my knights and so i rode to war with my warriors best ultron moonbug and nomru went to war with me that day and we the knights of the sacred black destroyed the lands of kator we summoned forth tens of millions of every race and removed their heads in front of their chidldren much to the dismay i might add of the gods of kator the lovele thia and the mighty dvb saw fit to smite me and my kin for our legendary achievements before that day since and as shall ever be in this world no one but i the mighty skullcracker shall know truly as i knew that day what it was to be a god amongst men and all other kin to that effect as with all gods we must never die so even if my parallel worlds life of darkness should consume me for years if i am lost i promise i will one day return for no other gods but those of kator and myself the giantking skullcraker shall ever truly grace this game as i have and so in conclusion nice article brem thought id spice up your string and let you know there is more than one giant that still draws breath in these hallowed halls so as one who has shaped the face of kator as the very gods themselveS AND NOT EVEN THEY COULD SAY THEY HAVE DONE WHAT I HAVE i bid you all adieu and call forth loudly into the abyss KNIGHTS! BRING FORTH THR CREST OF BATTLE I SUMMON THE BLACK FLAME ONCE AGAIN THAT WE MAY RIDE INTO THE HEART OF DARKNESS AND CRY LOUDLY THE LIGHT SHALL NOT DIE THIS DAY FOR WE STAND AGAINST THE HEART OF DARKNESS ITSELF THE BIRTHJPLACE OF CREATION THE BLACK FLAME THE ALPHA ET OMEGA THE BEGINING AND END OF ALL THINGS. REMEMEBER MY KNIGHTS YOU ARE NEVER ALONE AS LONG AS WE STAND TOGETHOR AS THE BROTHERHOOD I CREATED AND SMITE ALL THOSE THAT STAND AGAINST US I WILL ALWAYS BE WITH YOU SO LONG AS YOU STAND BESIDE ME WHEN EVER I MAY GRACE THIS WORLD WITH MY PRECENSE SO LONG AS MY AVATAR DRAWS BREATH I SHALL ALWAYS RETURN DO NOT LOOSE FAITH AND TO BOTH FRIEND AND FOE FEAR THE DARKNESS CHILDREN FOR I STAND BEFORE YOU AND NOW YOU MUST FACE MY WRATH THE WRATH OF SKULLCRACKER I HAVE RETURNED!

Lord and HIGH KING SKULLCRACKER (LEADER) Knights of The Black Flame
Dresden_Maximus
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:14:20 PM(UTC)

OK Skullcracker Sweetie,

That was AWESOME! :D

I can't wait to test myself against you!

If you fight as well as you write, and everyone says you don't!

To a woman they all say you fight even better!

Be still my beating heart!

Love,

Sadie
BurstThia
#11 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 4:01:49 PM(UTC)

WELCOME BACK, SKULL!
Brem
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:04:56 PM(UTC)

Welcome back Skull, thanks for the compliments